Elisa


Upon travelling to work via the underground this morning, I came across a sight which stayed in my mind for the rest of the day. I took a seat on a rather empty carriage to find myself facing three females. They progressed in age from left to right: firstly, a child of about ten years, then an middle aged woman (likely her mother), and then an elderly woman sat alone. The elderly woman was reading British Vogue. My eyes were initially drawn to her due to this magazine that she held in her hands. I instantly recognised it as I'd read it myself just a day before, so I was aware of the article that she was intently reading. It was an interview between Sarah Harris, Vogue's fashion features director, and Maria Grazia Chiuri, Dior's latest revolutionary creative director.

In the article Chiuri talks about how she views Dior as a French fashion house, the events that occurred upon debuting her first ready to wear women's collection for the brand, as well as her thoughts on settling into the fashion capital of Paris. It was a highly insightful article to read, and seeing another woman in front of me looking equally interested in it was innocently soothing. Though my attention was initially drawn to the eldest woman, I then turned to focus on the mother and daughter sat next to her. I further became pleasantly surprised as I found the mother teaching her daughter the French language. Sat on a tube carriage in the centre of London, the little girl was holding cards containing the simplest of French vocabulary, yet she projected enthusiasm which implied that she was desperate to be as fluent as possible. Though it was only a simple scene of education that I was witnessing, I found it both ironic and comforting that the only people sat in the same carriage as me were English, yet were immersing themselves in French culture. 

Sitting opposite these women, I was wearing the outfit featured in this post: a little black dress, pointed flats, a camel wool coat and a black beret. I've long admired French fashion, and recently purchased this beret hat as a subtle way of illuminating it on an outfit. I had been feeling quite French prior to this underground journey, though after seeing these three women associating themselves with the culture, the feeling was heightened for me. It was a simple moment which resulted in a great respect from me towards London. I re-read the British Vogue article when returning home in the evening, and was drawn to Chiuri's comment that in her designs:

'I love to mix culture, craft and couture together with a modern attitude.'

In London, I feel as though culture and craft are constantly mixed together; the diversity amongst people you pass each day  (on the underground, for example) makes the experience of living here continually inspiring. To spend part of my journey to work in an aura of French fashion and French culture reminded me why I love living here. It's wonderful to be part of such a great city that shows respect for what I admire most. 

I realise that what I've just said was a tad random, but it was an uplifting start to my day which I felt like sharing to you all on the morning of your Wednesday. So however you're starting your day, I hope you're enjoying it like I am mine.

Thoughts? Please share them with me in the comments box below!

Until next time,

Faye .x





















Beret: Asos

Dress: Zara

Coat: New Look

Shoes: Zara

Bag: Urban Outfitters

~ xxx ~

14 comments

  1. Nice article and I like your outfit! I wish I could go to your city someday!


    xo,
    Mae
    Her Silhouette / chrisseanmae.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mae! I hope you're able to visit; it's a wonderful city! .xx

      Delete
  2. I love the look! Didn't read the article but i love reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. London is so diverse it's not even funny. I love your flats. Beautiful look.


    http://www.fashionablyidu.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I'm glad you like the look! .xx

      Delete
  4. This is exactly why I love to people watch, especially when commuting, you can witness such amazing things and connect with people based on their behaviors and interests, as you did with the woman reading the Vogue article. I love your outfit, that coat is gorgeous and looks so good paired with the all black. Thanks so much for sharing, beauty, and I hope you're having a great week so far!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jalisa - I completely agree! I'm so glad you like the outfit, have a wonderful weekend! .xx

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great article, love the styling too!
    Have a lovely day :)
    Rosanna x
    Rose's Rooftop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Rosanna, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! .x

      Delete
  6. people watching is the best! I've never been to London, but it's on my bucket list!

    Love this outfit on you! the beret is so cute!

    www.prettyinleather.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Yuka - I hope you're able to visit one day! .x

      Delete
  7. for the very same reason i love london, its a real melting pot of cultures!!
    http://www.thestyletune.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I'm so glad Chichi! Thanks so much for visiting! .x

      Delete